I have never had a spray tan in my life. In the past (high school days), I used to tan in tanning beds (I DO NOT RECOMMEND), but never tried the spray tans back then. I have also been a huge fan of self-tanning in recent summers because it is relativity easy to achieve a tan without much effort. But, I was super happy when Hush Hush Tan reached out and said they had a brand new location in Highland Park, TX that they wanted me to try out. I honestly didn’t really know what to expect at first. Being a very pale girl, I was a little nervous because I didn’t want to turn out orange or have a Ross from Friends experience. So,I quickly referenced some of my other blogger friends posts to see what I needed to do in order to have a successful experience. Today, I wanted to share a little about my experience as well as some helpful tips that I learned.
The Hush Hush Tan team was so helpful and really made my overall experience wonderful. The type of spray tan I received was called a ‘custom glow’ (retails for $45). This means that the tan is customized to your unique skin tone. I went for the shade ‘medium’, which ended up giving me a really tan look. It didn’t look unnatural or anything which I was super happy about. Hush Hush Tan also uses an exclusive, all natural tanning formula made up of fruit extracts, aloe vera and anti-aging bontanicals.
If you have any other questions or want to look at their FAQs. Check out this link.
BEFORE THE SPRAY TAN:
1. Make sure you exfoliate and shave 24 hours before your tanning session. This will help your tan last longer as well as help the tan really sink into your skin. I made sure to exfoliate and shave the night before my session.
2. Do not wear any lotion, deodorant or makeup. You don’t want anything in between your spray tan and your skin. I was coming from work, so I just showered that morning and didn’t add anything extra after my shower.
3. Wear dark or loose clothing. I didn’t have any issue with my tan transferring on my clothes, but I recommend wearing something loose or dark just in case. That way you won’t ruin anything that you love. They also require bottom coverage, so make sure you either wear a pair of undies that you don’t mind getting tan on or they provide a disposable pair. I went with a loose fitting tank, no bra, sweatshirt and shorts…which seemed to work perfectly.
AFTER THE SPRAY TAN:
1. Remain dry or sweat-free for 6-8 hours. This way your tan can truly soak into the skin. You do feel a little wet or sticky after the tan for at least 2 hours. The tan will start to develop over the next couple of hours. I looked really dark at first and was a little worried, but once I showered the next morning I looked more natural.
2. Take shorter, mild to warm showers. This one is hard for me because I love a hot, hot shower! However, I did make a little bit of an effort to tone down the heat a little.
3. Pat to dry after the shower and use a mild moisturizer or tan enhancer. I just used my regular moisturizer which seemed to work perfectly and helped keep my tan in place longer.
4. Avoid using a perfume or only spray on clothes/hair. I don’t use a perfume, so this one was easy for me to avoid.
WHAT TO EXPECT:
The whole tanning process took all of 6 minutes. I did feel damp after the tan but went about my daily routine without issue. I purposefully chose a time later in the afternoon, so that I didn’t have to see too many people before I could shower. They reminded me as I left the salon to stay dry and avoid touching my skin as much as possible. The tan will darken over the next 4-5 hours after the tan. I waited until the next morning to lightly shower and rinse off the excess tan. Afterwards, I was a glowing…literally. Not many people besides my close work friends even noticed…which is what I wanted.
DO I RECOMMEND?
Yes, I think spray tanning is a great alternative to self-tanning at home. I will be going back when I have a special event or vacation and I want to look tan. It is a great option for us pale girls! If you are interested in trying out Hush Hush Tan make sure to use the code: BEAUTYELEGANT98 for 10% off your tan.
4254 Oak Lawn Ave, Dallas, Texas 75219
Phone Number: 469-868-6228